One of the wonderful attributes of the New Forest is it’s wide and varied selection of restaurants and pubs offering a warm welcome and amazing cuisine to suit all tastes and requirements. It is not possible to list all of them so below is a small selection.
Within walking distance of the holiday cottage:
- Hare and Hounds, Sway, is a local pub with reasonable food and friendly staff. Lots of my previous guests have enjoyed good meals here. 01590 682404
- The Monkey House, A fun pub with good food.. 01590 676754
- The Filly Inn, offering a wide selection of food. We will often walk here as it is far enough to justify a stop but close enough that the walk back is not too arduous. 01590 623449
- The Wheel Inn, This is just a 15 minute easy walk from the holiday cottage. It is the only community run pub in the New Forest and has just reopened after a renovation by local volunteers. We walked there and got a great welcome with a great range of beers and cider. Well worth a visit. 01590 718042
- Passford House Hotel, This is a short walk from the property, with beautiful gardens. They welcome local people as well as their guests. 01590 682398
- The Fleur de Lys, Pilley. This is our favourite both for the atmosphere and the amazing food. Great to go for just a drink and there's always a local to chat with or enjoy the wonderful menu from an outstanding chef. Booking is essential. 01590 672158.
- Greedo This is an amazing new find in the heart of Lymington, near to the cobbles. It is an independent brassiere serving fresh innovative food at a very reasonable prices. I recently had their noodle bowl which was delicious. They have a small but very good wine list. I definitely recommend a visit while staying at the holiday cottage. 01590 671179.
- Rivaaz Lymington, This is our favourite Indian restaurant as the quality is outstanding, whether you eat in our take away. They offer the traditional Indian cuisine but also have some very good unusual dishes. They have been winners of the Certificate of Excellence for the past 5 years.
- The East End Arms, East End. Owned by the bass player from Dire Straits, offers good locally sourced food and great beer. . 01590 626223
- The Ferryman, is the sister pub to the Kings Head. Recently refurbished it offers good food and a friendly service. We have recently eaten here a couple of times and really enjoyed their fish dishes. 01590 672517.
- The Royal Oak, We recently found this pub in North Gorley while on our way to a walk at Abbotswell. It is a 17th century Inn serving very good food, often locally sourced and they have a good selection of ales and even a british independent lager. We received a very warm welcome and look forward to future visits. 01425 652244.
- Kings Head, Lymington. Down towards the quay in Lymington is a favourite with the sailing fraternity and locals offering good food. 01590 672709
- The Chequers, A great pub to stop at if you do the Keyhaven to Lymington walk. It has great outside space. The food is good and very appreciated after a long walk. 01590673415
- The Noisy Lobster, This is definitely worth visit if you want a beach front restaurant. We ate here and the service and food was fantastic. They have a good wine selection too. They serve through from breakfast to dinner and have gluten free options. If I go for a walk along the beach I will also stop here for a very good coffee. Worth booking for dinner during the high season. 01425 272162.
- The Oak Inn, Bank. This has come highly recommended for food and the ponies who like to stand in the porch. 02380 282350
- Rick Stein, Sandbanks, We ate here recently and everything was great, they even have a dedicated gluten free menu with fish and chips. It was also reasonable priced and the quality was great. If you book a table I would ask to be seated in the main restaurant.